Wednesday, July 7, 2010

"Waiting for Godot" - The Oscar Grant Verdict


Okay, what's up? Like I said a few posts ago, I don't know how the jury will rule and I don't want to speculate. But come on, here's the latest -- today the jury will deliberate for only a few hours because one of the jurors had a doctor's appointment?

The jury got the case on Friday. Monday was a Court holiday. On Tuesday, a juror was ill. Then today, another juror began a scheduled vacation and an alternate had to be brought in.

Forgive me if I'm "misremembering" but didn't jury duty used to be an obligation, a legal obligation, to be taken seriously? There's a big part of me that feels the jury is making a mockery of the entire process. If they delay enough, will we all just forget that Johannes Mehserle, an ex-BART cop shot in the back and killed (either accidentally or accidentally on purpose) a man who was on the ground with his hands behind his back?

I realize that jurors are people too and things unexpectedly happen, but Oscar Grant's family and the community deserve more than delay after delay.

If the Judge doesn't force this jury's hand, tomorrow there may another delay due to a manicure appointment.

Again - Do the Right Thing.

No comments: