Tuesday, December 8, 2020

"Sittin' In" by Jeff Gold - For the Jazz Lover on Your Gift List

“Sittin’ In” by Jeff Gold, from Harper Design is a book that demands to be deeply examined, several times.  

It is not a biographical piece nor a simple historical account.  This book needs to be absorbed in a read and re-read fashion to appreciate the vibe and feel of Jazz in its prime.  

Each time I picked up this book and moved from East to West, I found threads that became interconnected. The Musicians, Fans and Clubs reflected here gave evidence that there was a nucleus from which all Jazz grew and swept the Country.  The 1940s and 1950s were truly an intense time for Jazz Clubs and their patronage. “Sittin' In” gives you the, fly-on-the-wall experience of the glory days of Jazz. I also don’t see this as other Coffee Table books to sit a gather dust.  This one, once opened beckons for another look each time you put it down.  For myself, I saw fan pics that I would swear were Aunts, Uncles or friends of my Dad, especially from the scenes on the West Coast.  If you think you know Jazz, here’s your evidence.  

Let yourself be that fly and feel a little toe tap throughout all 249 pages. 

(Reviewed by JRS)

No comments: