Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Kimberla Lawson Roby


Q:

Your characters are so easy to relate to and realistic. Thank you for writing such entertaining novels and projecting Black women in a realistic light. What was the first thing you wrote and were paid for?

KLR:

The first novel I wrote and was compensated for was BEHIND CLOSED DOORS. I first self-published it (after receiving tons of rejection letters from agents and publishers) and then it was sold to a small press in Baltimore, MD called Black Classic Press.

Q:

When did you realize there was an audience for your books? Frankly, there are many women doing ‘African American Chick-Lit,’ but none are doing it quite like you. How did you find your “niche,” which makes your writing different from the rest? And, are you comfortable with the term ‘Chick-Lit,’ OR how would you best describe your writing style?

KLR:

Thank you for offering such a kind compliment. I first realized there was an audience for my work shortly after my first novel was released. What I heard from readers was that the reason they felt they couldn’t put it down was because they were able to relate the characters and the storyline to their own lives or to the lives of friends or family members. Then, in terms of how my work is categorized, I hear anything from contemporary women’s fiction, chick-lit, contemporary Christian fiction, etc. It pretty much just depends on how each individual reader tends to see it and which book they are reading.

Q:

Is there a particular time of day or night, when you are at your writing best and what is your writing process (i.e. do you type on a computer or do you write long-hand or record into a recorder)? Do you wake up in the middle on the night with an idea and jump out of bed to get it on paper?

KLR:

Sometimes the early part of the day (9 or 10 AM for me) works very well and sometimes early evening. When I’m writing my first draft, however, I write all-day (nearly ten hours) every day until it is finished. Then, I go back and do my edits and revisions before submitting it to my editor. I do type on a computer when I’m writing the novel but sometimes I’ll write long-hand when I’m first writing the outline. Then, as far as waking up in the middle of the night with an idea, this does happen, but I never get up to write it down—although, sometimes I wish I had!

Q:

How much of the material in your books is taken from your real-life experiences or those of people you know?

KLR:

With every novel I write, I always include bits and pieces of myself. For example, if a character is out to dinner and orders a certain kind of salad or entrĂ©e, it might be one of my own favorite foods. Or, if a character has certain moral values, those values might be similar to what I believe in. Then, in my fourth novel, IT’S A THIN LINE, I based two of the characters on myself and my mom as my mom really was diagnosed with a benign brain tumor.

Q:

How important is it for African American women to develop, nurture and maintain their relationships/friendships?

KLR:

It is very important for all women to develop, nurture and cherish their relationships and friendships. My husband is the best of my best friends, but I could also never imagine being without the women in my life who are certainly my best friends, too. Over many years, they have each become more like my sisters and not only do I need their friendship, I wholeheartedly depend on it. I would do anything for them the same as I know they would do for me.

Q:

When did you realize that you had “made it” as a writer?

KLR:

I sort of realized it when my third title, CASTING THE FIRST STONE, sold far more than my first two titles had, and I went to New York and met with eight major publishers over a three-day period. They were all interested in acquiring my next two titles and submitted bids to my agent during an auction that she ended up holding for my next contract.

Q:

What topics have you yet to explore that we can anticipate in coming novels.

KLR:

I still have so many topics that I want to explore, and actually, I just finished a novella that centers on childhood sexual molestation. This is by far the most different story I’ve written, but it is probably the most important. It is also my hope that it will be informative and helpful to people everywhere, no matter who they are.

Q:

How important is the support you receive from family and friends?

KLR:

The support I receive from family and friends means everything and without it, I never would have gotten to where I am today. When I first wrote BEHIND CLOSED DOORS and received all the many rejection letters, I was basically prepared to give up. But then, my mom kept encouraging me to keep trying and my husband encouraged me to start my own business so I could publish the book myself. They both had such strong confidence in what I was trying to do, and it really did make all the difference. Then, my brothers, other family members and friends have always supported me in such a tremendous way as well, and I am beyond thankful for that.

Q:

Last, but not least, can you give us a “sneak peek” of “The Best of Everything?”

KLR:

THE BEST OF EVERYTHING centers on Alicia Black Sullivan, the eldest child of my recurring character, the Reverend Curtis Black. Alicia has recently married a wonderful man named, Phillip, who is also her father’s assistant pastor, but the only problem is, Alicia has a serious shopping problem. Alicia pretty much wants what she wants when she wants it and is willing to do whatever she has to in order to get it. What readers will find is that Alicia is definitely her father’s daughter.

Q:

Finally, thank you for doing what you do. You’ve got a fan for life!

KLR:

Thank you so much for requesting the interview and for reading my work!




-DWS

1 comment:

Brooklyn said...

Thank you so much for doing this interview with Ms. KLR! I have read every one of her novels and always anxiously await for her to finish and publish the next! There are messages and/or characters in each one that every African American woman can relate to. Ms. KLR's novels reflect "OUR experiences" and I am personally a little bit selfish and only share her novels w/"my best girlfriends":) I think of her books as "Our Thang"!

Thanks again for giving us a little insight on one of my very, very favorite authors! Please tell her to keep them coming and best wishes for a very long, prosperous career.