Monday, February 28, 2011

The Academy Awards Should Not Be Held During Black History Month


I would like to propose "legislation" of some sort that says that the Academy cannot hold its awards during the month of February. Why, you ask? Because we are hardly ever nominated or win. AND, more importantly, on the day after the Oscars, all your white colleagues want to talk about is how great it was or how beautiful this actor looked.

They can ignore our movies all they want. They can overlook our talented and beautiful actors (men and women), directors and producers. Basically, the Academy can go straight to where little devils ice skate as far as I'm concerned.

Now, before I continue on my rant, I should tell you that I got sucked into the "hype" surrounding Oscar Night. Had to go see "Black Swan" yesterday before the Awards Show. Didn't want to be "out of the loop." Yes, Natalie Portman did a wonderful job as the ballerina/psycho Nina. I take nothing from her. But, I didn't see one black person in that film. Not a waiter, a subway patron, a maid, a seamstress, a makeup artist. Not a single one represented. Unless you count the "black swan."

That said, Oprah (no last name required) and Jennifer Hudson were radiant.

I'm going to write the Academy and see if they'll consider moving their annual soiree to March.

No comments: