Sunday, September 11, 2011

Forgive Me, Lord, For I Got Mad




Yesterday, I went to mass at 5:30 because my daughter was singing. I usually go to church on Sunday at 11. I'm Catholic. I used to be Baptist but there was a huge rift in my church and I changed religions. Long story. Anyway, I consider myself a "Baptist Catholic."

For years, we went to an all-Black parish (well Black and Hispanic). However, when my daughter changed elementary schools years ago, we started to attend the church at the school. It's pretty much all-White. Of course, there are plenty of African American Catholics and many books have been written on their contributions to the church throughout the years.

I still get angry when I go to a different mass and someone in the pew behind me says, "Welcome!" It's as if I must be a visitor because I couldn't possibly be a member. I usually get an attitude and am upset for the entire service. Of course, this happened yesterday. I try not to blame people for their ignorance or lack of diversity, but for crying out loud, it's 2011.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. I guess the saying still rings true - "Sunday is the most segregated day of the week."

I'm trying to keep in mind what the priest said in church, "Forgive and ye shall be forgiven."

Have a wonderful week and peace be with you.

Dottie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Forgive me for LOL. But, my mind has this image of an elderly person who is just delighted with his or her "show of enlightment" that says "Look! I have no problem with "ya'll". That, I can understand and forgive. However, if this was a person under the age of 70, I'm wondering does this person know what a globe looks like??? My response in that instance would be "glad you came from under your rock for air." A HUGE percentage of the Catholics in the world, as well as, in the "lower 48 - say around about Louisiana" are non-Anglo and any "learned or "enlightened" person should know that.