Thursday, February 9, 2012

Should CNN Have Suspended Roland Martin? Is He A Homophobe?




Unless you've been under a rock, you've probably heard about CNN Contributor and TV One's Roland Martin's suspension from CNN earlier this week for offensive tweets made during the Super Bowl.

I have to honestly say that I was one of the people following Roland on Twitter on Super Bowl Sunday. I'm pretty sure I saw at least one of the allegedly offensive tweets. However, since I was somewhat dozing at the time, I don't recall being offended. That's not to say the tweets were or were not offensive, just to say that I tend to take Roland Martin for what he is - an intelligent, well-informed, shoot from the hip commentator and yes someone who often leaps before he looks.

That said, I don't think he is a homophobe, advocates violence or that he meant any of his tweets in the literal sense. Here's what he said:

If a dude at your Super Bowl party is hyped about David Beckham’s H&M underwear ad, smack the ish out of him! #superbowl

Ladies, if your man don’t like sports, send his azz back to the factory. He came to you defective! #rolandsrules

I’m sorry. I’m not down with seeing dudes walking around with bags on their shoulders that resemble women’s handbags. #helltothenaw

Who the hell was that New England Patriot they just showed in a head to toe pink suit? Oh, he needs a visit from #teamwhipdatass

This is just one more example of how social media can really come back to bite you in the rear. Especially when you're in the public eye and most especially during an election year. Add to the mix, you're on Team Obama.

The moral of the story: Be careful on the twitters-phere because free speech isn't always free.

2 comments:

C.L. Jones said...

His past kind of tells on him though. Although his comments were outlandishly violent, they were homophobic in nature. His excuse of ribbin' on soccer players was bologna, whether he wants to stick with that or not. Do I think Roland is homophobic? Absolutely.

Dottie said...

Thank you C.L. Jones for your comment. Perhaps his homophobia, if he is, is something he is not even aware of due to the fact that he's from Texas. I may have to re-evaluate my commentary with your thoughts in mind. Dialogue is great - I appreciate your support.

Dottie