Thursday, March 9, 2017

20th Anniversary of the Death of The Notorious B.I.G.


Is it an awful thing for me to say that I never really understood or appreciated "Biggy" when he was alive?

To be honest, most of his music was a little too "raw" for my tastes at that time.  I was in the throes of being a new mom and probably didn't think it quite appropriate to blast his music in the car or house with a small child around.

However, now that I'm a "grown-up" (as in "of a certain age"), I actually get what he and the other rappers of his time (RIP Tupac) were trying to say through their music.  And I also understand what led them to share their art in the form of hip-hop.

You never really realize how great people are until it's too late.  That's the wonderful thing about art though - it never really dies.

Long live hip-hop.

Rest in Peace, Christopher George Wallace.

(May 21, 1972 – March 9, 1997)

No comments: