Wednesday, April 4, 2018

50 Years Since Dr. King was brutally assassinated - do we even dare to dream anymore?


I was a small child when Dr. Martin Luther King was brutally assassinated on the 4th day of April in 1968. 

However, I will never forget the squeal that my mom's friend let out when she learned that his wounds were fatal.  She walked in and said to my mother, "They shot him down like a dog!" 

My mom who had been listening to the events unfold on the radio sadly replied, "He's dead."

The blood curdling scream pierced my young ears and remain etched in my memory forever.

In my neighborhood, Dr. King was a saint and someone who gave us a hope and a dream for a better future.

And here we are today, 50 years later, under the "leadership" of a man who dares us to dream (and not in a good way).

I refuse to give in to what many would have us do and abandon all hope.

I will admit - it's pretty darn blurry right now.

We must never forget.  And never stop dreaming.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I, too, remember that dreadful day when it seems like all of the light went out of the lamp of justice.

We must not let Dr. King's Dream become the current and future generations' nightmare of hopelessness and fear. We must dare to hope and dream and combat negative with positive, in spite of the current political, spiritual, and social climate. We must ignore rhetoric that aims to enslave our efforts and faith in what is just and right. We must never forget, or be too discouraged, or be too busy to vote. We must not allow our minds and spirits to be so wrapped up in the negative that we forget that we have the ability to change any and every situation with prayer and positive words and actions.