Monday, August 1, 2011

"The Help" Movie Opening August 10 in Theaters Nationwide





When I first heard about the book, "The Help," from a Caucasian friend of mine, I thought to myself, "I don't want to read that book. It's going to make me mad." And, so, I didn't.

When my friends told me how great the book was, I still resisted. But now that the movie is set to open in a little more than week, I can't wait to see it. It boasts a cast of excellent African American actors that don't get nearly enough time on the big screen.

My question is - why are White women so anxious to see it? I'm so sick of hearing my co-workers say, "I can't wait to see "The Help!"" Do they find the storyline flattering? From what I've heard from those who have read the book, and from the trailers I've seen, it doesn't paint White women of that period in the best possible light. Or, do they long for a time long ago when they could sit on their butts and shop and yak on their rotary phones while "the help" took care of their children and chores?

Maybe I'm just a little bit sensitive about things with all the budget debates and next year's election on the rise and the Tea Party and Boehner and all the politics that are hitting me in the face every day.

I'll see the movie. But I have a sneaking suspicion I won't be attending with any of my co-workers. And I might just have to pull out my dashiki.

1 comment:

Gisele said...

I think I'll be sitting this one out...just like I waited for The Blind Side to be on TV. Just not interested in certain themes, smh.