Saturday, February 2, 2013

2013 NAACP Image Awards



After watching last night's televised NAACP Awards, I had mixed emotions.

I was super excited for all of the honorees and glad to see that it has become quite a diverse event.  I mean it is the "National Association for the Advancement of Colored People," and I suppose that should include all colors.

A bit disappointed that some old favorites weren't present and that some who received awards didn't bother to show up to pick them up in person (for whatever reason).  Sad to hear that Sheryl Lee Ralph "tweeted" that she hadn't been invited to the NAACP Awards in 20 years.  How quickly we forget, huh?

For me, and many people, the highlight of the evening was, and should rightfully have been, the lifetime achievement award presented to Harry Belafonte by Sidney Poitier.  These two men have always walked the talk and they're now octogenarians and still doing what they do - pushing forward.

Harry Belafonte gave a most conscience-stirring speech.  If you missed it, "google" it.

But, I couldn't help but wonder what he thought about the "freestyle" performance by will.i.am and Common in which they invoked Beyonce's name to rhyme with Harry Belafonte.  I recalled how Mr. Belafonte had called out the young successful entertainers of our time, Beyonce and Jay-Z, in particular for not doing more for their Black people.

Things that make you go, "hmmmm."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I, too, was very encouraged and delighted that Mr. Bellafonte took the opportunity to stir up some consciousness into today's young "stars" that "I didn't do this on my own and I have a responsibility to cultivate opportunity and positive direction for those coming after me, just like Mr. Harry and Mr. Sidney and so many others did for me". Hopefully, others will heed the call. It was rewarding to hear Jamie Foxx say he heard Mr. Bellafonte and it inspired him to do more. Now, that's what I call "respecting elders" - by really listening and benefitting from wise counsel.