Monday, January 19, 2015

Happy MLK Day! Honoring the Legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.



Is it appropriate to shorten Dr. King's name by simply saying "MLK Day?"

Part of me feels not so right about saying it.  The other part of me likes the notion of a contemporary take on a legacy.  That's the part of me that hopes and prays that Dr. King's legacy will never be forgotten.

But, even more than Dr. King's legacy, the movement.  

I confess that I missed opening weekend of the movie "Selma," but I did see it this weekend.  What better way to celebrate the holiday that with Ava Duvernay's historical drama based on the marches from Selma to Montgomery?

And while I am really happy this movie was made and seen by so many (and even nominated for an Oscar), I hope this is only the beginning.  

There is an entire generation of young folks who have no idea what the movement was really about.  To be quite honest, I don't believe that I know completely.  Only what I've read and researched and been shown in less accurate movies than "Selma."

I do know that the climate now feels right to tackle the subject.  With the shooting of unarmed teens and black men happening all too often, and the grassroots movement taking hold across the country in the form of marches, silent protests and tee-shirt campaigns, it's obvious that there's much work to be done.

So, instead of treating today as the "end of a three-day weekend," why not find a celebration in your area, participate, expand your knowledge of what this day really means?

If you haven't seen "Selma," there's no better time than today.


No comments: