Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Can You Support Kaepernick and Still Perform at the Super Bowl?


I might get assaulted for this, but this whole NFL season has caused me to experience conflicting emotions.

First of all, I prefer baseball and basketball as a spectator sport.  However, there may or may not be people in my household who enjoy football.  Maybe they like the 49ers.  Just saying.

Is there a way to reconcile watching NFL this season with the blatant disrespect owners have shown for Black athletes who wish to show their disdain for what's happening in our country today by kneeling for the anthem?  

I certainly support and applaud Colin Kaepernick's humanitarian efforts, as well as his selfless acts (which, by the way, have clearly cost him a football career).  And that is a travesty and a black eye on the NFL forever.  But, should we not watch football until Kap gets signed?  

I mean Eric Reid has signed with the Carolina Panthers, although, he's still been subjected to a disproportionate amount of "random" drug testing.

Having said that, is it wrong for Travis Scott and Big Boi to perform at the Super Bowl?

I understand solidarity and supporting each other, but on the other hand, it's a large venue with high visibility, which can be both good and bad for performers.

I'm not saying that if I were an entertainer that I would perform at the Super Bowl.  However, I do believe that we need to look at everyone's perspective and the reasons behind what they do.


No comments: