Monday, January 7, 2019

Time's Up for R. Kelly


I struggled with watching the recent Lifetime documentary on R. Kelly.  

Initially, I said 'no way am I going to even give this life.'  But, I felt that as a parent, and as a Black woman I was obligated to see for myself what these poor young women and their families have gone through.  I thought, "if they can live it, I must not turn away."

It was as if I was a "voyeur."  It made me feel dirty.  It made me sick.  It made me angry.  I felt ashamed that I'd ever listened to his music.  Disgusted that we had allowed this monster to be a part of our family celebrations and milestones for so many years.

And it made me realize that maybe I didn't see myself in the victims.  That is, until I struggled through the six part series.

There is no room for forgiveness.  I don't believe that R. Kelly can be redeemed.  He is, without question, a reprobate.  

The worst part of it all is that I believe there are more men in the entertainment industry preying on young Black women in this same way.

We can no longer separate art from reality.  No more excuses.  No more blaming it on "the white man."

The responsibility is ours.  

Collectively, we must stop the rape and sexual exploitation of our Black girls and women.  

And R. Kelly is the perfect person to begin with.

Time's up.

#muteRKelly

No comments: