Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Bishop Eddie Long Has Been Named In Two Lawsuits Claiming Sexual Misconduct (But, Please, Don't Tell Anybody)


By now, I'm sure most of you have heard about the lawsuits that have been filed against Bishop Eddie Long, of Georgia. Bishop Long , pastor of New Birth Church in Lithonia, Georgia, is one of the most influential and powerful ministers in the Southeast and the country. He has also been one of the most outspoken opponents of gay rights. He has never attempted to hide his conservative views. In fact, when Coretta King's funeral was held at his church in 2006, Julian Bonds and other prominent African American leaders, refused to attend due to Bishop Long's oft-perceived "homophobic" views.

That said, I'm not the judge. I'm not the jury. But I have a serious problem with Black folks who refuse to even talk about it. Come on people. It's national news. CNN broke the story. Don't shoot the messenger.

I've been listening to the "The Light" all morning and Host Jerry Smith opened up the phone lines to take comments about this news. You would have thought he had burned the cross.

Everyone is presumed innocent until proven guilty, but just because we don't talk about it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I'm not saying. I'm just saying.

No comments: